There are many factors in our lives that will determine how long we will live. However, by following a healthy lifestyle, eating a clean and nutrient-packed diet, exercising regularly, and reducing your stress levels, you can slow off your aging process and even ward off diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and osteoporosis.
Eating healthy is possible during the colder months. And these five power foods will not only strengthen your immune system so you will not get sick when the temperature drops, but will also make you look, and more importantly, FEEL young and vibrant.
1) Parsnips: A member of the root family, this vegetable is perfect for fall or winter season since they make great additions to soups and stews recipes. Sweet and loaded with antioxidants, this root veggie is also an excellent source of soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. Not only that, but is also packed with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium, folic acid, copper, manganese, niacin, thiamine, magnesium, Vitamin E, and Vitamin B6.
2) Cranberries: These little guys are known for helping prevent and fight disease. Studies have shown that these gems can lower your bad cholesterol levels, and ward off certain types of cancer including breast, lung, and colon cancer.
3) Grapefruits: From the citrus family and originally from Asia, there are two types of grapefruit: Ruby and White Grapefruits. Ruby Grapefruits are usually sweeter and higher in Vitamin C than their relative, the White Grapefruit. If you want to burn fat faster, you should not miss out on this delicious citric fruit that is also excellent for detoxifying the liver. In addition, they are high in nutrients such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, folate, potassium, bioflavonoids, citric and phenolic acids, pectin, and fiber.
4) Kale: If you wish to have shiny hair, eyes, and healthy skin, you shouldn’t be skipping out on these dark leafy greens. These cruciferous vegetable are high in lutein, a nutrient that also helps prevent and fight disease. Try our delicious Kale chips in four varieties. You can choose from Gingerbread, Cheezy, Raspberry Lime, and Orange Teriyaki flavors!
5) Chestnuts: Unlike other nuts, Chestnuts are relatively low in fat and calories. They are loaded with folate, calcium, magnesium, iron, and Vitamin C. Chestnuts are great for soups, stuffing, salad toppings, or just whole as a low-cal, healthy snack!